Going to do a slightly different post today!
This week I am home alone as My parents and sister have gone away on holiday and I am looking after the house, so I thought I would take the time to have some me time and there is nothing I like more or find more relaxing than baking.
I did food technology for GCSE and A level and since then I rarely bake anymore. I am so busy doing everything else that this is the perfect time to get back into it!
On to the cake!
This recipe was taken from a website by my mum a few years ago but we have made changes to it which we think make it so much better! haha
This is such an easy cake to make, it is pretty much just a wack all the ingredients in a bowl and mix. I will also say, this cake is not for you if you are on a diet!
175g Self Raising Flour
2 Tbsp Cocoa Powder
1tsp Bicarbonate soda
150g Caster Sugar
2 Eggs Beaten
150ml (1/4 pint) Sunflower Oil
150ml (1/4 pint) Semi Skimmed Milk
2 Tbsp Golden Syrup
75g Unsalted Butter
175g Icing Sugar
3 Tbsp Cocoa Powder
Drop of Milk
1. Preheat oven to 180oc/ 350F/ Gas Mark 4.
2. Grease and Line two 18cm (7 inch) sandwich tins.
3. Sieve the flour, cocoa, Bicarbonate of soda into a bowl. Add sugar and mix well.
4. Make a well in the centre and add syrup, eggs, Oil and Milk.
(This looks vile I know, but this is everything in the bowl!)
5. Beat well with electric whisk until smooth.
6. Spoon the mixture into the two tins
7. Place In oven and bake for 25-30 minutes until risen and firm to the touch. Once cooked remove from oven, leave to cool before turning out onto a cooling rack.
8. To make butter icing, place the butter in a bowl and beat until soft. Gradually sift and beat in the icing sugar and cocoa powder then add enough milk ti make the icing fluffily and spreadable. (Sorry I forgot to take pictures from now on!)
9.Sandwich the two cakes together with butter icing and cover the sides and the top with the rest of the butter icing.
and there you go you will have one finished cake!